Announcement: News Regarding Lipitor Generic
Wednesday, November 30, 2011, Pfizer, the pharmaceutical company which
manfactures the cholestrol-reducing medication, Lipitor will have its patent
expire on this widely used medication. The expiration of this U.S. patent
will allow generic versions to be manufactured and sold at a much lower cost
than the brand medication. Members who choose to switch to the generic
alternative will save themselves, and the plan, additional costs which are frequently
associated with higher-priced, brand medications.
To help inform members of this new cost saving alternative, the Court has asked
our Pharmacy Benefit Manager, Medco, to send notifications to all members who
may be currently using this medication, as well as to members who may obtain
new prescriptions for Lipitor in the future.
General Pharmacy Information
Employees enrolled in medical coverage will automatically
receive prescription drug coverage. Medco Health Solutions, Inc. is the chosen pharmacy benefit manager and will administer all prescription drug benefit for retail and mail-order services.
January 1, 2011, Tier I and II prescription copays are no longer waived
at Kern Medical Center or its affiliated pharmacies.
Please visit the links below for important information regarding
your prescription drug coverage:
Your Prescription Drug Handbook
Preferred Prescriptions Member Guide
(medications listed in this guide are subject to change at any time)
Prescription Reimbursement Form
Mail Order Form
Employees can access and manage their prescription drug
benefits easier through the Medco website.
Here are some of the useful
resources, tools, and information available to you on www.medco.com:
- Prescription Drug Plan Overview – Provides an overview of the
Superior Court’s Prescription Drug Plan.
- Prescription Refill/Renewal – Access to order
prescription refills and request renewals.
- Locate a Participating Retail Pharmacy – Locate an In-Network
pharmacy or verify that your current pharmacy is In-Network.
- Price a Medication – Obtain pricing and coverage information on a
variety of medications, including comparing the cost of generic to brand
- Drug Information – Research valuable drug information.
- Get Started with Mail Order – Learn more about this easy,
- Order Envelopes and Forms – Get extra claim forms and
mail order envelopes.
- Health Encyclopedia – Website visitors can access a customized
version of adam.com’s medical encyclopedia to find information on
symptoms, diseases, injuries, and other health conditions.
- Health Toolbox – Members can use a series of interactive tools to
help them assess, track and plan their medications and health activities,
communicate with their doctor or pharmacist, and actively manage their
- Health News – A website where visitors can view a daily feed of
health-related news items written in a way that’s easy for the health care
consumer to understand.
- Nonprescription Items – Shop for nonprescription
over the counter items at a discounted price.