|Superior Court of California, County of Kern|
|Self Help Center|
|1415 Truxtun Avenue, 3rd Floor - Law Library, Bakersfield, CA 93301|
|Phone: (661) 868-5320|
|"Helping you help yourself...."|
|The Self Help Center is designed to provide free legal resources and assistance to self-represented litigants, also known as "Pro Pers". Self Help Center offers services in various areas of the law. The Self Help Center and Law Library staff can help you understand the legal process and necessary steps to receive your day in court.|
|The Self Help Center includes access to copiers, fax, computers, the internet, research materials, forms, and a friendly staff to "help you help yourself". Copies and fax services are available at a low cost and Resources are free of charge to you. Kern County Law Library Services (opens new window).|
|Workshops are frequently held in the Self Help Center to educate the public about how the legal system works in different areas of law. Click on link to view Self Help Workshop / Clinics Schedule|
(opens new window).
|The Self Help Center can provide you with the following services:|
- Talk with a well trained Self Help staff member to determine what legal forms and steps you need to take to file your lawsuit.
- Provide you with procedural information, sample packets and forms on these types of cases:
- civil harassment
- consumer law
- elder abuse
- unlawful detainers (evictions)
- small claims
- Check your legal forms for accuracy and file readiness.
- Help you comply with instructions from judicial officers and other court staff to keep your case progressing.
- Provide information on what civil mediation services are available to you so you can resolve your case before trial.
- Assist persons needing special accommodations to access the court.
|Click on link to view Self Help Center/Small Claims Advisor Hours of operation (opens new window).|
|The Self Help Center is NOT intended to take the place of advice of legal counsel. The Superior Court of California, County of Kern court employees are prohibited from giving legal advice per Government Code sections 24004 and 68082. The services provided by the self-help staff are not intended to give one side of a case an advantage over the other, and that no attorney-client relationship exists between the self-help center personnel and the litigant using the center. This means that communications between the litigant and the self-help center attorneys, staff, or volunteers are not privileged and that the self-help center staff may provide services to the other party.|