|Jury service is one of the most important civic duties. We recognize the sacrifices made by jurors and appreciate the significant role our jurors serve in the American Justice System. Our judiciary and administrative staff are committed to make jury service as convenient and comfortable as possible.|
|A Scam Warning for Jurors|
|A Jury Scam Alert Web page is now available on the California Courts Web site warning jurors of potential scams. More than a dozen states, including California, have issued public warnings about calls from people claiming to be court officials seeking personal information.|
|There is a telephone scam spreading through several counties threatening those who fail to report to jury duty with arrest fines. It is an Iphone app that advises people their name has been seen at a local court location and they are instructed to call the following number: (704)319-7242. A recording at the number advises the caller to press 1 to pay a $500 fine or to press 3 to report to jail.|
|Jury Staff of the Superior Court does not ask past, no show, or prospective jurors for financial information such as credit card and bank account information or personal information like Social Security Numbers. Please do not provide this type of information to anyone claiming to be associated with the courts. Please contact Jury Services immediately if you receive this type of request.|
|Instructions if You Have Been Summoned for Jury Duty:|
|Per California Rules of Court 2.1006, if you are breast feeding mother, you may request a postponement of jury duty. Please contact our jury staff at (661) 868-4700 or E-Mail Jury Services.|
|The following links contain general information, dates, and times to report for all groups summoned for the current week. Please read your Jury Summons carefully to see if you are to report to an East Kern Division Branch. If it does not specify a branch, you are to report to the Metropolitan Division.|
|Effective Monday, November 4, 2013, the PARKING LOT behind Kern County Superior Court, 1215 Truxtun Ave. will be closed for reconstruction. Please utilize the City Parking Lots outlined on the attached map.|
|How do I request an excuse from jury duty?|
|You may request to be excused from jury duty for "undue hardship". Check the box entitled REQUEST FOR EXCUSE (this is found on the Questionnaire Form) and mail it or fax it to the Jury Commissioner's Office to see if you may be excused from service. All requests to be excused from jury duty must be submitted in writing.|
|The Types of Excuses the Jury Commissioner will accept are as follows:|
- Extreme financial burden. You will need to provide your employer's signed written verification of no pay. If you are self-employed, proof of same is required. (This may be a business card or a copy of your business license.)
- Physical or mental disability or impairment. You must attach your doctor's written verification. Notify the Jury Services Department if you have been granted a medical excuse within the last three years. (If you are 70 years of age or older, a doctor's excuse is not required. Call the Jury Services Department under Penal Code Sections 830.1 and 830.2(a).)
- You are a peace officer and service as a juror would jeopardize protection of public health and safety (under Penal Code Sections 830.1 and 830.2(a)).
- You have served as a juror within the last 12 months (If you served outside of Kern County, proof of service is required).
- You must care for a dependent daily (A written explanation is required).
|Superior Court of California, County of Kern court employees are prohibited from giving legal advice per section 24004 and 68082 of the Government Code. In addition, court employees may not give advice as to which legal forms to use or how to complete the forms.|