Limited Jurisdiction Civil and Unlawful Detainers

Process: The Appellant files a Notice of Appeal with the Appeals Division or the trial court where the case was heard by the deadline. California Rules of Court 8.880-8.1018, Civil Code of Procedure 904.2 and 906 govern these appeal types. For information on Writ Proceedings in Limited matters, please see Additional Information Section below.

Deadline: Within thirty (30) days of mailing or personal service of Notice of Entry of Judgment. Exception: ninety (90) days from Entry of Judgment if notice was not mailed or personally served.

Forms: APP-101-INFO, APP-102, APP-103, APP-104, APP-110, APP-151-INFO and APP-151. Forms are available at all court locations during business hours and online at Appeals will be accepted at the Appeals Division or at the trial court in which the case was heard. Refer to California Rules of Court 2.100-2.119 for proper format.

Contact Information:

Appeals Division

1415 Truxtun Avenue

Bakersfield, CA 93301


Filing Fee: Please see: Court Filing Fees
Money orders or checks should be made payable to Kern County Superior Court and are required at the time of filing.
What if I can't afford to pay?

Additional Information: Deadlines for Writ Petitions vary depending on writ type and are outlined in the Information on Writ Proceedings in Misdemeanor, Infraction and Limited Civil Cases (APP-150-INFO) form. Please see this form for full information on what a Writ Petition is, including deadlines, types of Writ Proceedings and frequently asked questions.

Filing an appeal or writ petition does not stop enforcement of a judgment. If you file an appeal or writ petition you must still comply with all the conditions and terms of the judge’s order.