Court-Appointed Counsel

If at the time of your arraignment, the court determines you are indigent, the court will appoint an attorney to represent you. However, if you wish to retain your own attorney you may do so.

If you are provided legal assistance through the public defender or other court-appointed counsel, the court may make a determination of your ability to pay all or part of the costs. If the court finds you can pay, it will make an order for you to pay the costs. Such an order has the same force and effect as a civil judgment and is subject to enforcement against your property in the same manner as any other money judgment. The court can order additional hearings on your ability to pay the cost of court-appointed counsel after your case is concluded.