Court Volunteers / Docents
Docents make the courts more "user friendly" to court patrons. They answer basic questions and provide directions. This personal assistance helps reduce anxiety for court patrons who often come to the courts during a crisis situation. Many cannot afford an attorney. They may not be sure where to go or what to do. They may find the courts intimidating and confusing despite the best efforts of court personnel.
Most docents are willing to commit to a three-hour shift once weekly. Shifts are scheduled from 8:00 AM to 11:00 AM and from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM at our 1215 and 1415 Truxtun Avenue facilities and from 7:30 to 10:30 and from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. at the Juvenile Justice Center. Coverage for periodic absences is usually coordinated between the docents.What are the qualifications for a docent?
This volunteer opportunity requires:
- The ability to listen and communicate clearly
- The ability to read
- A willingness to help patrons from all walks of life
A routine background check is required. Are docents currently needed?
There are volunteer opportunities currently available at:
- Superior Court, 1415 Truxtun Avenue
- Metropolitan Justice Building, 1215 Truxtun Avenue
- Juvenile Justice Center, 2100 College Avenue
Thank you for your interest in volunteering as a docent at Kern County Superior Court in Bakersfield. We appreciate your willingness to help.
To become a docent you need to:
Download and complete:
- A confidential application form and
A release for background check.
Superior Court Docent Forms Privacy Notice
If you choose to fill in the following form(s) online, the information entered will be used only for printing the form and will not be kept electronically for any purpose.
If other people have access to this computer, you can keep them from seeing what you entered. To do this, please press the clear button at the end of the form when finished printing.
Do not sign or date these forms.
These forms are also available at the docent stations of these courthouses:
- Call Julie at (661) 868-4931 to arrange a time to return and sign the forms.
Take the unsigned forms to:
1415 Truxtun Ave Bakersfield, CA 93301
Bakersfield, CA 93301
At the courthouse, you will sign the forms in the presence of a witness.
After you have completed the above:
- Your routine felony background check will be completed within several weeks.
- After passing the background check, you will be contacted to arrange training.