The Self-Help Center is NOT intended to take the place of advice of legal counsel. The Superior Court of California, County of Kern court employees are prohibited from giving legal advice per Government Code sections 24004 and 68082.
The Self-Help Center’s hours of operation are
Monday – Thursday 8:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m
Friday 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Self-Help Center Services
The services provided by the self-help staff are not intended to give one side of a case an advantage over the other, and that no attorney-client relationship exists between the self-help center personnel and the litigant using the center. This means that communications between the litigant and the self-help center attorneys, staff, or volunteers are not privileged and that the self-help center staff may provide services to the other party.
The Self-Help Center can provide assistance and information for the preparation of:
- Petitions for Guardianship of the Person, clearing of Guardianship notes
- Petitions for Dissolution, Establish Parentage, Custody and Visitation
- Requests for Orders (Child Custody, Visitation, Child Support*)
- Default Dissolution, legal separation and Nullity
- Small Claims
- Limited Civil Matters
Kern County Law Library
For procedural information and assistance with:
- Civil Harassments
- Traffic motions,
- How to Commence/Answer in a Civil Action
- Obtaining a free/limited term access to Westlaw
- Access to NOLO Books
Landlord/Tenant Assistance Center
For information and assistance with unlawful detainer/eviction:
Landlords, please call
Tenants, please call