Court Records Overview


You may obtain copies of court records from the Superior Court of California, County of Kern. Access to case files is not available via the Internet, however you may request transcripts of court proceedings through the Internet.

If you do not know the case number or want to know if a case has been filed, you may either:

  1. Visit the courthouse and search for the case yourself (no charge) or request the clerk to look the case up for a fee (see fee schedule); or
  2. Request the information via postal mail. For the mailing address to the appropriate court, see Court Contact Information. Mailed requests must include:
    1. The research fee to look up the case number (see fee schedule ).
    2. Any copy fees that apply (see photocopies ).
    3. A self-addressed, stamped envelope for your response.
Requests to look up a case number are not taken over the telephone and information regarding a specific case cannot be given by telephone.

Types of Court Records Available

Access to case files is not available via the Internet

Register of Actions/Court Docket

Summary list ("table of contents") of documents filed and actions taken in a case is available on the Civil Case Information and Calendars.

Photocopy of Case File Contents

You may request photocopies of one or more documents in the file.

Transcript of Court Proceedings

A transcript is a printed, verbatim record of a court hearing as recorded by a court reporter or Electronic Recording.

Access To Judicial Administrative Records

Effective January 1, 2010, Rule 10.500 of the California Rules of Court sets forth comprehensive public access provisions applicable to administrative records maintained by state trial and appellate courts, the Judicial Council, and the Administrative Office of the Courts.

Please direct your written request for access to judicial administrative records maintained by the Kern Superior Court to:

    Superior Court of California, County of Kern
    1415 Truxtun Avenue
    Bakersfield CA 93301

    The Court Administration office hours are 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. Courts are closed on Court holidays.

You may also submit your request via E-Mail.

The Court will make identifiable judicial administrative records available upon request, unless the records are exempt from disclosure under Rule 10.500. Records may be subject to payment of a fee per subdivision (e)(4) of Rules 10.500.